Saturday, September 27, 2014

Book Review: Tales of the RAF by Don Patterson / Illustrated by Sonny Schug

This is a thoroughly enjoyable series of 6 books obviously intended for juvenile readers. It tells a segment of Battle of Britain history from the perspective of the RAF squadron and some of the airfield's neighbors, including a young boy who is the unit's adopted mascot. I really enjoy its emphasis on men over machine, a point that's not that popular in some aspects. I enjoy how these books, while clearly propaganda pitched, still catch the life and personality of a people fighting to save their way of life from the evils of the Hitler's forces.

The reading is enjoyable, and teaches serious object lessons, but manages to keep a medium-light, enjoyable tone. Each book ends on as warm and fuzzy a note as it can, noting they're still at war and the Evil Hun has still got to be stopped. After all the other War histories I've read I found the dogfight scenes a tad wanting, but that might be intentional on the author's point. Point is, they fought bravely and skillfully, and here are some cool artworks of the dogfight. `Nuff said. The many illustrations are excellently done and give it a true historical, World War II flavor. I'm middle-aged and found each book really hard to put down, although I only have books 1-3 out of the six. I keep looking for the rest because I Can't wait to see what happens next.

No one spoil the ending for me though. I want to find out on my own.

In summary- definitely worth checking out, but if it's not your flavor it might not find a place on your shelf. Unless you're a WWII aficionado looking to introduce your kids to this particular history. Which you probably are. In which case, get it and put them all on his or her shelf.

I don't really see all six of them together for sale in many places, but hunting them and collecting them is another childhood joy you can indulge in with them.

But get your own- these copies are mine.


Feel free to comment in the space below!

No comments:

Post a Comment